New Beginnings - Cooking Corner

As I begin this new journey my thoughts are, what I would like to see and read. What would be of interest to my followers. I did not know a thing about cooking when I first got married but I learned quickly. I now love to cook and read cook books and pass recipes to my friends. I also love to gather recipes from any where I can find them. As we grow older we think more about healthy cooking for ourselves and our families. I was raised on meat and potatoes as we probably all where back in the 50's. Healthy was not talked about much.....especially as it is talked about today.

I will try along the way to give you tips you can use in the kitchen, recipes, information on herbs and spices. I also from time to time will give you decorating tips. I am an Interior Decorator by trade so can pass along ideas and answer any questions you may have.

We all love the comfort foods but some of them are not good for us. There are ways we can change that by using products with less fat, no fat and watch the sugar and salt. I find that if I cook with a little salt, we don't use salt at the table. I see people eating and when their dinner arrives they immediately put salt on everything. They do not even taste it...just pour on the salt. I really don't know how those people can enjoy their food when it is so salty. Salt is not good for you only in moderation. Just about anything can be okay for you if you eat it in moderation. We have diabetic friends who do not watch their sugar intake and I worry about them. They will say, "I will take my pill and be ok" that doesn't always work. If you want to lose weight and be healthy you have to cut out the sugar and as we have been told over and over walk 10,000 steps a day. You cannot believe how you can lose the weight by walking the 10,000 steps.

If you want to be in control of what you eat you have to cook for yourself. You can control what goes into the foods you eat and into the pans you use to cook for yourself. You need to know the calories and how much fat you eat in a day. I feel you can still eat your favorite foods but you control what goes into them. One of my favorite meals is spaghetti with meat sauce. I use ground turkey instead of ground beef. What a fat saver that can be!